15 February 2010

Yeasayer 'Odd Blood'



One word: Sick. This album came totally out of the blue for me. While reading through some of my favorite music blogs I came across a review for Yeasayer's new album 'Odd Blood'. If you've never heard of them before, don't feel bad. I hadn't either. They're from Brooklyn and, as rumor has it, cut from the same musical cloth as Animal Collective, Islands and Grizzly Bear. I suppose I can see the temptation to throw them in that indie box. The band Yeasayer reminds me most of is Bronski Beat. Remember them? If not, then download 'Smalltown Boy'. Imagine Bronski Beat remixed by Islands and MGMT and you get Yeasayer. They are pretty original sounding, however. Listen to the album with headphones on and be transported back to the 80's: Indie rock style. So many cool sounds, gorgeous harmonizing and interesting lyrical themes. This is the rare band that, with a few listens, can satisfy lovers of indie rock, the 80's, pop music and alternative rock. Highly recommended.

The Andrew Review: 98 out of 100

Best songs: Ambling Alp, Madder Red, Mondegreen, I Remember

No comments:

Post a Comment